Sunday, February 11, 2007

Is the Google Virtual Machine the future?

This is a very interesting blog post about the future of personal computing.

In my own personal experience, more and more of my time is spent on a Google application, be it the start-up menu I organize by life around, or my email client, or my personal calendar.

There is an interesting bifurcation in my world. The freelancers are increasingly using Google and open source applications. Enterprise users, that is corporations, universities, and governments, still rely on commercially licensed software, things like Microsoft and Oracle applications. It's only a matter of time before non commercially licensed applications penetrate the enterprise world too.

My bet is that the Google Virtual Machine is the future.

No comments: