Tuesday, August 15, 2006

One shot at websites that changed the world - and the commercial that made Super Bowl commercials Super Bowl commercials

It's almost hard to believe that all of this happened in the past ten years.

I was in a meeting yesterday of Next, a group of emerging technology companies in Greenville SC, and whispered to the guy next to me about the famous challege twenty years ago, "Do you want to sell sugared water for the rest of your life, or do you want to change the world?" We recognized that most of the people in the room were too young to have any idea what we were talking about.

Heck, most of the people in the room never saw the Super Bowl commercial that made Super Bowl commercials Super Bowl commercials.



I'm feeling old.

2 comments:

Jeff Papenfus said...

I was in that room, watched that Super Bowl, and was there 15 years ago when the internet was young. I vividly remember using LYNX and Gopher to read about the world. Then along came Mozilla. Wow! what a difference that made to the experience. I thought to myself then, I should get some URL's - just in case this WWW thing actually catches on. Oh Well. I'm not making that mistake again.

RileyWarner said...

Jeff

The trick is knowing what the URL of today is, and then having the courage of your convictions to act on it.

Do you have any idea what that is?

John